Winter Camp registration is now open! Get in on the wintertime fun with your Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts! Pack 793 will be picking a date for a Pack event. Pray for SNOW!
Popcorn Sales are coming to a close in the next week!
Here are the important dates:
October 19th – Sale Ends. Send all orders to Brian to submit his Take Order
October 26th – Trails-End Prize Turn-in. Send Brian what prizes your Scout would like (More details to follow)
November 7th – Take Order Popcorn Arrives!
Other TIPS for this week:
– I have additional forms for anyone that needs one!
– I still have popcorn available for Pick-up (send me an email)
– QFC Site sales have been Updated Online
(If there are other days and times you’d like, send me an email and I’ll work with the Store manager)
- Popcorn will be arriving this Thursday and ready for Pick-up on Saturday and Sunday. Pick-up days and times are being determined. The pick-up location will be a home just one block north of Holy Rosary School.
- The popcorn pick-up is for Show and Sell. We will be using this popcorn for site sales, but you and your scout can come by and pick-up a variety of popcorn for you to take with you on your personal sales door to door. It’s hard to say “no” to a scout in uniform with a wagon full of popcorn!!
- Please work with your scouts on their selling techniques. Here are a few questions the scouts should be ready to answer. Most answers are on the order form so please work with them in advance. This gives them confidence in their selling if they know the answers.
- What is NEW this year? Chocolatey Carmel Crunch! YUM!
- Who is your sponsoring organization? Holy Rosary Church
- How many packages in the the Microwave popcorn? 18 individual packages (not sold individually)
- What is your favorite? <Insert Scouts favorite>
- How much of the money goes to the Scouting organization? Over 70% of the sales
- How much money does your Pack get? About 35% of the sales
- How does your Pack use the money? Fund Camping, Pinewood Derby, Pumpkin Carving, etc…
- Do I have to Pay now? This is up to you. Sometimes it is easier to get an order if payment comes later.
- When do I get the popcorn? We will fulfill most orders with this first shipment
Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!
Brian “Popcorn Kernel”
School and Scouting has started!
(Tiger Parent Primer)
At this time of year there are so many things going on it is important to let the new scouts and parents know what is happening and when. Here are some key points for the Tiger Parents.
- The first Tiger Den meeting is Wednesday September 17th at 7 PM in the Holy Rosary School Hall. This is the first meeting for the Tigers, so if you feel like you have missed a meeting, don’t worry, you have not. New Tiger scouts should come with their new Class A Uniform, their Tiger Handbook and a parent! Tigers will meet twice a month for a Den meeting and a GO SEE IT activity. The Den meetings are booked and on the Pack Calendar. The GO SEE ITs are planned as part of the Den and will vary based on Den availability and location. The Complete Pack (all dens) also meet once a month for a Pack Meeting. These are also on the Pack Calendar.
- Our Fall Pack Campout is this weekend. This is a fun activity but is not a mandatory event. Please RSVP and come if you can. This is open to the whole family. Please bring the Class A uniform if you have one and the patches/badges. The Pack will work with you on the placement of the badges and patches! Please take a moment to review the Pack 793 Camping Checklist of items that you should bring.
- The Pack 793 Guide for New Families has been added to the Resource section of the website. This Guide provides an overview of the Pack and how we operate. This should answer many of your questions. Please reach out to any of the Pack 793 leaders if you have any questions that are not addressed by the Guide. Since this guide is new this year, we will continue to update it with your feedback.
- WE HAVE A TIGER LEADER! Greg Chastain will be wearing the Tiger Leader uniform for the new Tigers! Actually we have 3 great Dads that have offered to help lead the Tiger Den which will be very important for these new scouts.
We look forward to seeing you at the Camp Out if you can attend, otherwise we will see all the new Tigers on Wednesday September 17th!
We have been alerted that there may still be room left for the Called to Protect Class at Holy Rosary next Tuesday. This class is required by the Seattle Archdiocese for anyone volunteering with kids. All Pack 793 leaders have gone through the training and we highly encourage all parents to attend. This class is usually not offered at Holy Rosary, so this is a great opportunity to take it close to home. Below is the detail taken from the Archdiocese of Seattle website and the link to register is below.
Class Name: Called to Protect for Ministries
Start Date: 09/16/2014 06:30:00 PM
Room: School Hall
Description: This three-hour training is designed to teach participants how to recognize the signs of abuse, how to respond to suspected abuse and how to keep our ministries, programs and schools safe. Required for clergy, employees and volunteers with ongoing unsupervised contact with minors and vulnerable adults. Recommended for all volunteers.
Parish: Holy Rosary School – Seattle
4142 42nd Ave SW
Where: Camp Freeman (located at Camp Edwards, Formerly Camp Brinkley)
25600-B Monroe Log Camp Rd, Snohomish, WA 98290
Who: Everyone! Old scouts, new scouts, family and siblings. Please no pets!
When: Friday 9/12th @ 5 PM check-in to Sunday 9/15 noon
- Friday Night we have a casual evening as families arrive
- Camping: Bring your tent, sleeping bag and overnight essentials
- Polar Bear dive: Bring your trunks and a towel!
- Skits: Bring jokes, stories and a positive attitude
- Movie Night!
POPCORN SALES ARE UNDERWAY!
We’ve added in the links in the Pack Site Menu for Popcorn Tips, Training Videos and Site Sale sign-ups. At our kick-off we stated that we have an ambitious goal to ensure we are funding our complete year with just this one fundraiser.
You and your scouts should now be going through your neighborhood pre-selling the popcorn using the Popcorn order form. Please contact Brian if you need one. You should also be signing up for online sales. This is such a great way to have your friends and family outside of Seattle support your scout. The online site sends out emails, handles the payment and processing of orders.
We will be getting our first delivery of popcorn on September 18th. We will use this popcorn to fulfill your orders and for site sales. More site sales will be added in as stores become available.
We will continue to fulfill your orders until when we end the popcorn sales on October 19th. Any popcorn due to customers that we do not have on hand will be ordered and the last and final delivery will come November 7th.
Here’s to a wonderful Popcorn Sale!
PACK 793 OUTDOOR MOVIE NIGHT
AUGUST 26th 7:30 PM to 9 PM
BRING YOUR OWN CHAIR (BYOC), We’ll Bring the Popcorn!
Holy Rosary School lower parking lot just north of Lanigan Gym. Please use the Upper Parking lot to park your vehicles.
- Welcome to New Scouts
- Update on the Fall Campout
- Popcorn Kick-Off!
- Movie “Up”
Returning Scout Parents:
Bring your chairs and a blanket or two and the rest of the family for a fun evening outside with a Pack Movie and popcorn. If the weather does not permit, we will head into Lanigan Gym. Have your scouts wear their Class B uniforms.
New Pack 793 Families:
This event is the kick-off to the year. There will be a lot of information shared, but we will use the time while your kids are enjoying the movie to walk through the scouting program and answer any questions you might have. We will have registration forms on hand to fill out and extra Class B uniforms for the kids that are just joining for the first time.
See you there!!
The Cub Scouts of Pack 793 will be hosting the Our Lady of Guadalupe Community Meal on August 24th 1PM to 3:30 PM. We will be cooking and serving to about 100 people!
The community meal is a monthly ,free sit-down meal held at OLG in the Parish Life Center/Gymnasium. Everyone in the community is invited to attend. It is conducted ‘restaurant style’ where the guests are served at their tables. The goal is to provide a hot meal once a month for those in our community, in particular for those who may not regularly have a hot meal. Inviting the whole community provides a way for all of us to share a meal and conversation together. OLG receives additional volunteers from other West Seattle churches and service groups (youth and adult).
Please remember to wear your uniforms and bring your manners!
Our theme for the Parade is:
“This is what makes Cub Scouting FUN!”
We need everyone to work together to create the excitement we have around scouting, from start to finish! We have jobs for everyone, however if your scout would like to bring their bike or cub mobile, please ensure they bring a helmet!
What the Pack will bring:
- Pack 793 Banner
- Fliers to hand out to kids
- Pneumatic rocket launcher like last year
- Prizes for the kids that launch a rocket!
- Camping Float with Tent and camp fire
- Klondike Sled
- “Everything is Awesome”
- “Life is a Highway”
- “Best Day of My Life”
- Handing out candy
- Handing out fliers
- Carrying the banner in the front of the parade
- Helping with the rocket launcher
- Singing! These are songs the kids know, so it should be fun!
- Rapping: If you have an outgoing scout, have them memorize the Rap portion of “Everything is Awesome” for a SOLO performance! <HERE>
- Ensuring the scouts are staying hydrated
- Helping with the rocket launcher
- Helping to pull the Camping Float
- Helping with the portioning of Candy handouts
- Ensuring the scouts are acting in an orderly manner
Please make sure your scouts are in full Class A uniform and ready for a fun time!
See you Saturday!